Best Image Optimization Practices for SEO
Why Optimize Images
Image optimization serves two basic purposes of increasing page loading speed and improving search engine ranking. The other reasons are to attract reader attention, create the better user experience, make a good impression, create relevance to the text, and make the readers understand the content faster its important in SEO , Some companies like Rock Search Engine Optimization Calgary swear by it
How to Optimize Images
- File-Size Reduction: By reducing the file size it is possible to increase loading speed. But you have to do it without compromising on quality, clarity, and sharpness. The recommended method is to change the image format into JPEG (high-quality images), GIF (art and animations), or PNG (both). Then the full-page images size will be within 100KB-110KB. Smaller images could be of size 30KB to 40KB.
- Relevant Images: Using images only when required can eliminate unwanted cluttering of images. Relevant images which can enhance the meaning of the text and broaden the scope are best for your web pages. Search engines can check for image necessity and relevance to text content. Then they improve your website ranking immediately.
- Image Quality: First step is to shoot your images (photographs) using professional quality cameras. Genuine images can create great impressions on the audiences and search engines. You can use photo-editing software-tools for improving image quality. They also increase the image sharpness, brightness, and natural appeals. It is better to reduce the usage of stock images and avoid copy-righted images. They can reduce search engine ranking and create legal problems.
- Image Names: If your image shows the front view of the Tajmahal, it is better to name it the same way. Avoiding special characters and numbers can create better relevance to the search engines. For example, Tajmahal front view.JPG could make more sense to the search engine than TAJ-Frt-001.jpg.
- Image Captions: Relevant, short and meaningful captions to images can increase the reader retention time on the web page. It will also improve search engine ranking. Users can relate their reading and image viewing experience with the image. It will also increase the probability of page-link sharing with their friends and social media contacts. It will automatically boost the viewer rating and likes. The ultimate result increases in website traffic and search engine ranking.
- Meta Data: Using alt-text, alt-tags, Meta-tags, and Meta-Descriptions can create a streamlined path for the search engine crawlers. They can easily match your images with the search key-phrases. It helps them in placing the page links at the best possible position in the search engine result pages.
Best Practices of Image Optimization
The balance between Size and Quality: especially in MRC SEO Consulting SEO JPEG is the most recommended file format for search engine optimization. When using PNG format you need to choose between PNG8 and PNG24 based on the on-page optimization requirement. PNG24 has high quality, sharpness, and natural appeal. But the file-size is relatively more. So, you need to limit their numbers to critical needs.
Product, brand, organizational images and other critically important can be in JPEG format or PNG24. For the others, you may choose PNG8. The approach helps in creating a perfect balance between file size and image quality.